Sunday, January 6, 2013

Music is My Passion

If you have followed me on Facebook you know that I am chasing my dream.

I have ALWAYS loved music.  I remember being like five or maybe younger and knowing every song that came on the radio.

In fourth grade the orchestra--I cannot remember if it was the junior high or high school orchestra came to my school and played for us.  I sat right beside my mom listening to the orchestra and watching the conductor and I whispered to her..."I am going to do that one day."  She smiled and really had this look in her eyes like she knew I totally WAS.  There was no "yeah right" look.  It was a look of ultimate approval.

Well, the next year I signed up for violin. What. A. Joke.  I could do it now, but it was seriously a joke at the time.  Not because I didn't understand, I believe it was the teacher. That's terrible to say, but true.

So, I stopped "playing" the violin and when I entered junior high, I signed up for the flute.

I don't even remember why the heck I picked the flute---I imagine it had something to do with my size, and I was a girl, and I most likely wanted to be as cool as my flute playing band director. Haha.

I never became the greatest flute player, but I loved it.  I tried out for the All County band one year like she encouraged us to do and I made 1st alternate.  That really shocked me. I started believing in myself and because of her I started taking it more and more seriously.  And I never looked back.  I played in the band until high school and then decided I was never going to stop, so I applied to University of NC at Greensboro and became a Music Education major.

My world was flipped upside down.  I had NO IDEA what it took to be a music major. I didn't understand it at all. SO OVER MY HEAD when I was 18 years old. They wanted me to practice more than an hour?? Every single day?? WHAT?  I remember hearing that I needed to practice for 8 hours a day!  Ummm, how?? AND go to class??  I did not understand anything I was doing in my class and the college atmosphere and BOYS were just much cooler at the time. LOL

Anyways, after a little more than a year, I was a college drop out. 

Leaving my passion for music behind.  And at that time, I thought it was forever.

That was 1998.





No comments:

Post a Comment